[EM] I volunteer for one of the topics

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:39:57 PDT 2002

Alex listed these topics for volunteers:

1. Abstract
2. Advantages of Approval over plurality and IRV
3. Australia
4. Prospects for reform: States where voters can bring about local and
state-wide ballot measures, states where election laws are at least
partially local (easier for grass-roots efforts), and how many state and
federal races may have been influenced by a third party in 2000 (even just
the number of such races where nobody had a majority is OK).

I reply:

I volunteer for the 2nd topic, Advantages of Approval over Plurality
& IRV.

I'd be glad to write some of the things that I've posted, into an
article. Just tell me how long it can be. The long version of my
letter-to-the-editor is a good start. The accompanying letter, to
verify the claims in that letter, needn't be included, correct?

Maybe the article should start with Plurality's disadvantages, then
define Approval, mentioning Approval's more obvious advantages.

Then maybe the article should mention IRV, and tell of its problems,
and refute its claimed advantages, like the long-version letter that
I recently posted. Then would come a more complete section on Approval,
going into more detail about its advantages and mentioning where
it's used.

Of course you should feel free to use anything that I've posted or
sent on that subject, entire or in part, possibly combined with
other arguments, if you want to compile the article from postings.

Mike Ossipoff