Re:[EM] I volunteer for one of the topics

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 10 18:53:42 PDT 2002

Mike wrote:

>Maybe the article should start with Plurality's disadvantages, then
>define Approval, mentioning Approval's more obvious advantages.
>
>Then maybe the article should mention IRV, and tell of its problems,
>and refute its claimed advantages, like the long-version letter that
>I recently posted. Then would come a more complete section on Approval,
>going into more detail about its advantages and mentioning where
>it's used.

I'll write about Eastern Europe, where it's apparently used, according to
anecdotal press accounts and an article by Steven Brams.

Starting with plurality's disadvantages seems good to me.  I'd imagine that
the most obvious advantages of approval to mention after that are how it
cures whatever plurality problems you choose to focus on.  IRV definitely
needs to be addressed, but it's probably best if the +'s of approval
receive the majority of the attention.  No need to give IRV any more
attention than it's already getting.

Thanks for volunteering, Mike.

Alex