[EM] Hitler-Stalin-Middle Example Again

Matthew Shugart mshugart at weber.ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 4 11:52:46 PST 1996

At 10:09 AM 3/1/96, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Mike Ossipoff wrote:
>> I've already said what standards I consider important: Getting rid
>> of the lesser-of-2-evils problem & protecting majority rule, &
>> eliminating the need for defensive strategy. I've told why Condorcet's
>> method meets these standards. Does anyone disagree with those standards?

Yes.

>> Does anyone propose another standard that he believes is more important?

The system shouldbe easy to understand (Condorcet is not), and should not
be thought of as producing a clear "map" of what people think, but in
decisively electing a head of government from anong identifiable
alternatives.  That is what a presidential election is for, ultimately.

Matthew Shugart
Associate Professor of Political Science

Address:
Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0519

Phone:  619-534-5016