[EM] Hitler-Stalin-Middle Example Again

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Sun Mar 3 16:36:39 PST 1996

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Lucien Saumur wrote:
> In an article, robla at eskimo.com (Rob Lanphier) writes:
> >However, if anyone has a particularly elegant way of doing a rank ballot,
> >I'm all ears.  Actually, what about bar-coded stamps with the name and
> >picture of each candidate on them, and a place for them on the ballot?
> >Sort of like the Publishers' Clearinghouse garbage?  It'd be a bit more
> >expensive than a plain ballot, but not nearly as expensive as equiping
> >all polling places with a ton of computers.
>
>           There are millions of PC's around and some of them may surely
> be rented or borrowed for a day.

Yes, but setting them up and using them *for an official election* is a
non-trivial task.  The labor is not something to write off.  It is
*expensive*.  I doubt that people could be sold on the idea of using a
ragtag collection of "loaner" computers for an election.

Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~robla