[EM] Meaning of ballot truncation (was Re: Replies to Saumu

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 4 19:06:20 PST 1996

Lucien Saumur writes:
>Steve E. wrote:
>>If I truncate my ballot, I'm saying I detest all the unranked
>>candidates equally, and detest them more than any of the candidates
>>I ranked.
>
>          "Detest" is too strong a word. You may merely
>like these candidates less than the candidates that you
>have ranked and you like them equally so that you do not
>wish to rank them one above the other.

True.  In practice, though, I think I'd rank all the ones I approve,
and maybe a few that I disapprove, and truncate the ones I detest.

Others may behave differently.

>     If you really dislike these candidates, then you
>should have the option of indicating explicitly that they
>are unacceptable to you (whether ranked or not).

I agree.

It might simplify the user interface of the voting booth computer if
NOTB is already ranked when the process begins.  Then the voter ranks
some candidates above and some below.  NOTB might be displayed as an
approval/disapproval dividing line.