SW simplicity & decisiveness (was Re: [EM] Hitler-Stalin-Middle

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 4 19:47:31 PST 1996

Matthew Shugart wrote:
>Mike asked:
>> Does anyone propose another standard that he believes is more
>> important?
>
>The system should be easy to understand (Condorcet is not), and
>should not be thought of as producing a clear "map" of what people
>think, but in decisively electing a head of government from among
>identifiable alternatives.

Two more standards for the outline, thanks.

Does voter understanding include their understanding how they should
deal with voter dilemmas?

Will you explain your second standard more clearly?  This
decisiveness looks to me like a false mandate.

It appears we'll need to rank some standards separately for
Presidential elections than for other SW elections.