[EM] "Instant-runoff voting" article renamed to "Ranked-choice voting" on English Wikipedia

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Mon Oct 21 16:13:51 PDT 2024

On 2024-10-22 00:19, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
> I'm surprised that's your first result;  I'm guessing it's a country
> thing? That article is around 5th place for me, after 3 RCV advocacy
> groups and Ballotpedia.
>
> "Set covering" is going to go straight to "Set cover problem" because
> the words are very similar; the search term doesn't need to match the
> title perfectly. Tokenized, these terms are going to look like "x y z"
> and "x y w", where z has very little semantic content, so they're
> basically the same phrases already. On the other hand, "Ranked-choice
> voting" and "Instant-runoff voting" are very different search terms.

I don't think it's just a stemming issue. The first Wikipedia page for
the search "alternative vote" for me is the one for instant-runoff
voting (although it's not the first actual match).

Maybe you'd say that doesn't count, since it isn't the first match. But
searching for "top two runoff" gives me the Wikipedia article on the
"Two-round system" as the first match. That's hardly the same phrase.

-km