[EM] Range with a hedge

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at munsterhjelm.no
Wed Oct 9 03:40:16 PDT 2024

Here's a method that passes IIA if Range does, and that passes Condorcet
if Range doesn't pass IIA:

In the first round, voters rate every candidate.[1] The method selects
the Condorcet winner (or the winner according to some Condorcet method),
as well as the Range winner, for the second round. If they're the same,
the method immediately elects that candidate and there is no second round.

Otherwise, the voters rate the two finishers in the second round. The
candidate with the highest score wins.

Suppose that people vote on an absolute scale. Then the second round is
a no-operation and the Range winner wins. On the other hand, if voters
use relative scales and max their favorite and min their least favorite,
the Condorcet candidate wins whenever there is a CW.

Thus we have Range's performance when voters use absolute scales and
Condorcet when they don't.

I don't think the absolute scale assumption is very realistic, but this
should help frame it in another perspective. If it seems obvious that
voters - even honest ones - would min-max in the second round, well,
there's your IIA violation right there. Whenever the method picks two
distinct candidates and the Condorcet candidate wins without the voters
changing their minds about the candidates, that demonstrates IIA failure
in practice.

(As an aside, apparently great minds think alike; I thought of this
yesterday, then saw Abel Stan's top two idea just now.)

-km

[1] Alternatively, the ballot might ask for a rating *and* a ranking. If
the ranking is consistent with the rating, i.e. the ranking doesn't list
A>B if the rating gives B a strictly higher score than A, then the
ranking is used for the Condorcet method. Otherwise the ranking inferred
from the rating is. This would allow voters to vote Approval-style and
still provide a proper rank for the Condorcet method to use. The
consistency requirement reduces strategy.