[EM] Brief Ranked-Pairs definition

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 26 13:47:13 PDT 2024

Mike,

> Elect the candidate not beaten among all the strongest defeats that
> don’t contradict (form any cycles with) each other.

That definition is "brief" but isn't complete, i.e. it doesn't give
enough information to know how to operate the method because it doesn't
explain what "strongest" means (or exactly how we measure "strength").

As you know, more than one way has been suggested/advocated.   You like
"Winning Votes"  (that used to be called on EM "Votes Against").  There
used to be some people here who advocated for Margins.

I like Approval Margins (explicit) which gives similar results to the
Margins Sorted Approval method I now support.  And others are possible.

Chris B.