[EM] POLL: Approaching deadline: 2024-05-11 05:15:00 UTC

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 19:49:23 PDT 2024

On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 18:13 Closed Limelike Curves <
closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com> wrote:

> We could just postpone it.

I suggested a two day extension of the voting-deadline.

I take your suggestion as a second to that motion.

> But  in any case I don't know what this poll is supposed to accomplish.
> 1. The number of methods is so large that everyone's ballot is missing
> half the methods…

That’s expected. In many-candidate elections, people usually won’t rank all
of the alternatives. No problem. The rankings express their preferences
among their most preferred.

It isn’t clear why you perceive that as a problem.

I presume on an oversight, because there's just no way people have that
> strong of an opinion on

Meaning unclear. I didn’t expect so many nominees. So what. Approval & the
Condorcet complying methods don’t have a problem with lots of candidates.

2. The pairwise matrix is going to end up so degenerate as to be useless.

Unsupported statement, unclear in meaning.

It'll be full of cycles and ties.

Top-cycles for 1st place are quite rare.

CIVS has done lots of pills with many candidate’s, with no problems.

With many candidates, & successive counts among the remaining no winners
(to determine the finishing-order, the social-ranking), there could be a
spontaneous sincere cycle somewhere in the finishing-order determination.

Schulze & RP(WC) are regarded by many as the best for sincere cycles.
…regarded as meeting the most criteria with a consensus of importance.

Closed, when arriving at a forum, the standard advice is to listen & ask
questions for a while before asserting. You’re doing far too much
asserting, when you should instead be listening & asking.

The number of voters is so small, and the number of outcomes is
> sufficiently large, that the pairwise matrix is effectively meaningless and
> dominated by noise.

Nonsense. It aggregates the expressed pairwise-preferences, to find the CW,
the candidate who’d beat everything else in 2-way votes.

In the event of no CW, that absence will be shown. …& Schulz & RP(wv) will
choose in the best accordance with established criteria.

> The issue with this poll is it approached the topic as a question of
> voting when it isn't.

:-) I don’t know what *your* question is. If it’s different, feel free to
ask it.

Good voting methods aren't always good statistical methods.

> If I had cardinal ballots, I could fit a multilevel hierarchical model and
> possibly get something meaningful out of it. But as is the data here is
> effectively useless.

As I said, you assert far too much. Whoa, we’re getting ahead of ourselves,
Cowboy.

You spoke of “noise”. You’re making a nuisance noise of yourself.