[EM] POLL: Approaching deadline: 2024-05-11 05:15:00 UTC

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Fri May 10 18:12:29 PDT 2024

We could just postpone it.

But  in any case I don't know what this poll is supposed to accomplish.
1. The number of methods is so large that everyone's ballot is missing half
the methods, I presume on an oversight, because there's just no way people
have that strong of an opinion on
2. The pairwise matrix is going to end up so degenerate as to be useless.
It'll be full of cycles and ties. The number of voters is so small, and the
number of outcomes is sufficiently large, that the pairwise matrix is
effectively meaningless and dominated by noise. Every outcome will look
something like "4-2"—in other words, random noise.
3. I think all of us know each other's rough opinions on this topic.

The issue with this poll is it approached the topic as a question of voting
when it isn't. Good voting methods aren't always good statistical methods.

If I had cardinal ballots, I could fit a multilevel hierarchical model and
possibly get something meaningful out of it. But as is the data here is
effectively useless.