[EM] Request for help: List of Pathological Elections

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Tue May 7 09:18:00 PDT 2024

On 2024-05-06 21:30, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> It is my opinion that "Plurality" and "First-Past-The-Post" are synonymous.
>
> But looking at your Wiki page, I am concerned in how you would ever
> know for certain an election is spoiled with FPTP.  I mean, like Florida
> 2000, perhaps the Ralph Nader voters would have split even up between
> George W Bush and Al Gore.  Not likely, but we don't know without the
> ranked ballot.

I suppose we could use polls to argue that the possibility exists, if
those polls ask for pairwise or ranked/rated preference information. It
would depend on the accuracy of the poll, e.g. if it asks both "Who
would you vote for in the election" and "out of X and Y, who would you
rather see win", and the former matches the actual outcome, then that
would suggest the latter is accurate too.

It won't be ironclad, of course. But without the ballots, nothing is :-)

-km