[EM] No. Condorcet and Hare do not share the same problem with computational complexity and process transparency.

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 14:41:47 PDT 2024

(Michael, I'd suggest not paying too much attention to rb-j when he gets
like this. He's a Condorcet partisan, and happy to burn down a good reform
just because it's not ideal.)

The issue with IRV isn't that it can't be audited; clearly it can. The
problem is many people won't trust the auditors. And I actually don't think
they should—not because I think the auditors are lying, but because
democracy is only safe so long as we make every effort to safeguard it.

An election without subtotals is effectively closed-source, unscientific.
I can't reproduce it, because I don't have the data. This would be a major
difference compared to today's elections, where I can prove or disprove an
election was fraudulent or miscounted using nothing but public data.

For example, take this great diagram from the Economist:
[image: image.png]
This plot shows precinct-level vote totals for Putin, and it conclusively
proves his election was fraudulent. Polling stations reported numbers
ending in 0 and 5 *far* more often than can be explained by
chance, implying these numbers are just made-up. There's also clear
evidence of ballot-box stuffing: Putin gets huge vote totals in the
elections where "turnout" is close to 100%, suggesting many of those votes
simply weren't real.

This kind of graphical analysis is enough for me to prove that Russian
elections are fraudulent. But the key lesson is I know that even though the
elections *weren't* audited. I know it from the precinct subtotals. This is
what keeps our democracy safe. It's statisticians and political scientists
closely monitoring every set of results, picking apart any inconsistency in
the data and using it to expose fraud. If the last presidential election
had been fraudulent, one of us *would* have figured it out.

Another example is the NC-9 election in 2019
<https://www.brookings.edu/articles/understanding-the-election-scandal-in-north-carolinas-9th-district/>.
Here, statisticians detected voter fraud by noticing bizarrely high
vote shares for candidates in some precincts. Ultimately, it was discovered
that Republican staffers attempted to fraudulently harvest ballots from
elderly voters, pressuring them to sign off on absentee votes that had been
filled out for them. The results were thrown out by a judge and a new
election was held, where the results were reversed. That precinct data was
the key to uncovering the fraud. I find it extremely concerning that with
IRV, we might not be able to prove this had happened.

Reporting first-choices wouldn't be enough, because not all elections are
determined by first-counts (or else IRV would be plurality). We need to be
able to calculate results from what we have publicly-available.

As a rule of thumb, the average precinct has 600 voters. If you have k
candidates, you need maybe 5 * k! voters to be able to release the
ballots—that means you have only about a 20% chance of being able to
identify any particular person from their ballot, assuming any particular
permutation of ballots is equally likely. (If not, identifying voters gets
even easier. In practice, you could probably do it for k=4 by being a bit
clever.) These numbers cross at k=5, which means the results of any
election with 5 or more candidates can't be publicly verified without
exposing voters to the possibility of harassment, intimidation, or bribery.
These aren't a problem for O(k^2) or O(k) methods like Condorcet or score.

I know American elections are safe and secure, because I can prove it
myself, or read the work of scholars who have proven it themselves. You can
try and replace that with audits under IRV, but that just moves the
problem: I have to trust the auditors instead. If you ask me, "How do you
know there wasn't fraud?" I couldn't give you an answer, except saying "I
trust the auditors." For voters who don't trust the system already—and
unfortunately, many Americans don't—that's not going to be enough, and they
wouldn't be totally wrong to worry.