[EM] Electing Cabinets/Executive Committees

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Mar 30 01:56:13 PDT 2024

I also have not seen this question before, and am not sure who wants to
know the answer, tho I think all election methodologists should know
that a general election method is sought that applies to all election
circumstances (not to mention data representation in general).

Obviously a proportional election requires a proportional count, and
what should be obvious, a preference vote, by which the voters can
convey that proportional count. At least the mathematician Carl Andrae
thought it was obvious when he invented the method in the 1850s. The key
to understanding the Andrae system (Hare system, In English-speaking
countries) is that you don't do what politicians did to the Andrae
system, which was to shut voters into dogmatic little boxes, labeled
this party or that. Because choice is relative, a question of more or
less, as is proved by the concepts of a "wasted vote" (ever used by big
parties twisting the arms of smaller parties supporters) and "strategic"
or "tactical voting" (ever used by small parties trying to gain on
bigger parties).

The term "inhomogenous" implicitly (maybe not intentionally)
disqualifies the partisan ideal, which assumes voters are dogmatic
supporters of one party, and to represent as many, or as few, as
possible, the election method just regulates the election threshold.
This, however, over-looks cross-party sympathies, meaning that people
may be sensible, to some extent, to the virtues and vices of more then
one party. To recognise this reality of cross-party proportional
representation, as well as party proportional representation requires a
transferable vote, both for independents outside parties, as well as
independence within parties. I mean so that representatives, are
directly accountable to the voters, as they are meant to be in a
democracy, and not to party bosses, as is the case with party list
systems. (Millions of people, thru-out the English-speaking world use
non-partisan PR/STV, which really answers the question on this list.)

The logical details, that so absorb methodologists, are adequately
over-come by at-large elections with STV. This is because as the
election becomes more and more proportonal with more seats per
constituency, the residual crude "last past the post" exclusion count
becomes less and less important in determining the result. Indeed
Instant Run-off Voting in single member districts is an irrational
exclusion count rather than an election. It is the necessary reform of
the vote, without an implied proportional reform of the count. The
purpose of a preference vote is not to eliminate preferences but to
elect proportions.

These detailed problems with traditional STV can be over-come. It is
possible to have a rational exclusion count, as well as a rational
election count. That is the system I have developed with Binomial STV.
This is a consistent one-truth count not an inconsistent two (or more)
truths count by conventional voting methods in general.

Regards,

Richard Lung.