[EM] Resistant set: exploring it, and why three candidate monotonicity is easy

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Mar 8 04:21:23 PST 2024

So I've been trying to find a monotone resistant set method, but it's
very hard. Mostly I have found methods that elect from the resistant
set, but none of them are monotone.

Bizarrely, it seems that actual *pushover* immunity is much easier than
monotonicity! At least it is if my simulations are correct; I have found
three methods in particular that all are pushover immune yet not monotone.

My next idea (that I haven't done yet) is to find the shape of a four
candidate method that only uses the binary variables of whether any
given candidate is above the threshold for every subelection. This
binary data is sufficient to reproduce IFPP or fpA-fpC. For instance if
we have an ABCA Condorcet cycle with two candidates above the 1/3
fraction threshold, that looks like:

              {ABC}  {AB} {AC} {BC}
A > thresh   T       T    F    N/A
B > thresh   T       F    N/A  T
C > thresh   F      N/A   T    F

and in that election IFPP eliminates C, then A beats B pairwise and
wins. (Ditto fpA-fpC.)

If the optimizer says "no solution", then that would indicate that there
may be a more fundamental problem with trying to make four-candidate
monotone resistant methods.

But some theory:

The ultimate problem is that a resistant set member is defined as one
who is undisqualified by anyone else; and that raising a candidate A may
break X~>Y by obscuring X's first preferences on a subelection
containing all three of A, X, and Y.

To be more precise, raising A can have one or more of these effects:
	- Establishing A~>B (i.e. making A disqualify B) for some B not
previously disqualified
	- Breaking B~>A (undoing the disqualification of A by B)
	- Breaking X~>Y (on subelections with three candidates or more).

So the primary monotonicity failure type happens when A is raised, then
that breaks X~>B so that B is undisqualified. Then B joins the set and
wins by the tiebreaker that the method implements.

Why is that not a problem for three candidates?

If A disqualifies both B and C directly, then there's no problem since
raising A can't weaken any of these disqualifications. Similarly, if all
three are in the resistant set, there's no problem either, because the
resistant set can't possibly grow.

So suppose that A disqualifies B and B disqualifies C. In the full
election, both A and B exceed the threshold; necessarily C must be below
it, and so can't disqualify anyone no matter what.

Thus with a tiebreaker that excludes everybody that disqualify nobody
(unless that would exclude every candidate), we have the following:

	- C can't win because he's disqualifying nobody, and
	- B can't win because he's disqualified by A

so A must win. Raising A can't make C disqualify anyone (establish
C~>X), nor can it break A~>Y for any X or Y, so neither of these
conditions is affected by raising A.

But while we may be able to nail down two candidates in a four-candidate
election this way, that still leaves one free to cause nonmonotonicity.
So that could explain why three-candidate IFPP is monotone but it loses
its monotonicity when you go higher; and explicitly monotone
constructions like fpA-fpC lose their resistant set compliance as you go
higher. Retaining monotonicity while going higher is going to need more
sophistication than this.

-km