[EM] Part 2, Approval vs Condorcet

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 09:43:37 PDT 2024

 Arguably one problem with approval voting is that people might refuse to approve the "lesser evil" of the two main candidates because they see it as a vote for and an endorsement of them. Whereas with a ranked ballot, they simply rank the candidates in order and the notion of endorsement need not come into it. Under FPTP, people will often say they could not vote for x, even if it's between x and y, and they prefer x to y. This is likely to carry over into approval voting. Obviously under approval voting, the hope is that higher quality candidates will be in the running (as has been argued for Stein in this case), but this is not guaranteed to always happen.
Toby