[EM] Continuing interrupted reply to Closed

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Mar 3 01:59:45 PST 2024

“I DO object to STV’s negative response”

  It does not matter whether Mr Ossipoff, you or I, or anyone else
objects to an election method. As HG Wells said over a century ago (The
Elements of Reconstruction, 1916) voting method is not a matter of
opinion, but a matter of demonstration.

It is perfectly possible for STV to use equivalent proportional counts
to Webster/Sainte Lague and the d’Hondt rule divisor methods. Originally
STV used the Hare quota. The Droop quota is merely the minimum PR, as
the Hare quota is the maximum PR. I have recommended the average PR, a
Harmonic Mean quota, V/(S+1/2) which is equivalent for proportionality
to the Sainte Lague divisor rule. But I invented it for other reasons.
It just turned out to have that extra confirmation.

As a matter of fact, I hired the programming of (first order) Binomial
STV and supplied the list with some links, including to GitHub. The
other day I learned that GitHub suffered a mass malware attack in 2023,
from which they maybe did not completely recover. I have no technical
knowledge myself. So I welcome it being looked into by admin, but that
is why the list has not received the links.

First order Binomial STV is simpler in principle than conventional STV.
It is a one-truth election method, which makes it unique, not only to
STV but to all the worlds election methods, which are at least two-truth
methods. That is to say, they are “unscientific” or inconsistent,
because their rules differ as to how they elect or exclude candidates.
In principle, election and exclusion are the same, because one voters
election is another voters exclusion

Binomial STV (not only first order) uses the same method for electing as
excluding candidates. In other words, it is symmetrical as to election
and exclusion. First order STV involves two counts, an election count of
preferences and an exclusion count of reversed preferences. Both counts
use Meek method computer count of surplus transfer, in exactly the same
procedure, whether to elect candidates or exclude them (to an election
quota or an exclusion quota, otherwise the same quota). The exclusion
count is an iteration of the election count.

However, first order STV is simpler than Meek method, in that it
dispenses with its “last past the post” exclusion method, when election
surpluses run out. It also dispenses with the Meek method policy of
reducing the quota as voters abstain their preferences. On the contrary,
abstentions information is counted, thus satisfying the principle of the
conservation of (preferential) information, fundamental to science or
organised knowledge.

Regards,

Richard Lung.