[EM] inaccurate Fargo approval voting results

Evangeline Moore evangeline.moore at ih21.org
Fri Jun 7 05:28:35 PDT 2024

Hi everyone,

I work at a Czech institute researching voting methods, and a while back I
took an interest in the approval voting elections in Fargo. While I was
running the numbers, trying to build a model for a separate project, I
noticed that the approval vote results have never been accurately reported
in Fargo. The winners are right, but the percentages are not. They've never
crossed 50% approval despite being widely reported that way.

I posted an explanation of this on our website:
https://www.ih21.org/aktuality/approval-voting-in-fargo When I realized
that another election is coming up and that, as far as I can tell, nobody
else has made the methodology publicly known yet, I wanted to get this out
there. I also thought you guys might find it interesting.

EM