[EM] Portland specifics, and ovals for approval cutoff

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 17:39:13 PDT 2024

Ahh, yeah, any PR method will outperform winner-take-all on this metric. If
cities are using STV for their city councils, that might imply
single-winner IRV actively reduces minority representation.

That said, my guess is the effect of STV is probably going to be limited
compared to other methods, because STV is only proportional for solid
coalitions, i.e. voting blocs moving in perfect lockstep with each other,
and only if they exceed a full quota. So, for example, if ethnic minorities
tend to vote for a mix of white and minority candidates, or if they're
split across party lines (e.g. Hispanics only go about 60-40 for
Democrats), this will tend to break up and dilute their interests. It's not
enough to have a quota of Hispanics who rate Hispanic Republicans and
Hispanic Democrats highly; you need to have a full quota rank *either* a
Hispanic Republican or a Hispanic Democrat at the top of their ballots. The
effect is the same as center-squeeze, where your vote gets "stuck" with a
weak candidate who nevertheless has enough first preferences to stay in the
race for several rounds. By the time this candidate is eliminated, the
more-electable candidates with fewer first preferences have been defeated.

But from what I can tell, this is much trickier to resolve than
center-squeeze; proportional Condorcet methods don't seem to have any
guarantees on how out-of-whack a coalition can get, although I think
Schulze STV has a nice local stability property.

Most ethnic minorities aren’t solid coalitions, although African-Americans
happen to be so overwhelmingly Democratic they might act like one.
Something like PAV that approximately satisfies the core property should do
better at giving minority voters more representation.