[EM] Portland specifics, and ovals for approval cutoff

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Thu Jul 11 20:39:03 PDT 2024

On 7/11/2024 10:47 AM, Closed Limelike Curves wrote:
 > ... given there's no theoretical basis to think IRV would affect
 > city council and mayoral seats differently. ...

In the new Portland elections, "ranked choice voting" for city-council
seats is STV (the Single Transferable Vote) with three seats per
district, whereas "ranked choice voting" for Portland mayor is
single-winner IRV (instant-runoff voting).

Of course Portland's three-seats-per-district STV city-council elections
are going to yield more gender and racial diversity compared to
single-winner IRV for electing Portland's mayor.

Richard Fobes