[EM] Pairwise Median Rating

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Jan 19 16:05:53 PST 2024

> How is the average calculated?

We interpret the ratings ballots as score ballots, giving zero points
for the bottom rating (which is default for unrated),
1 point for the next highest, 2 points for the next above that and so on.

Then for any given ballot we add up the scores of the candidates in the
Smith set and divide that by the number of candidates
in the Smith set and interpret that ballot as approving those Smith set
candidates it scores higher than that average score.

That simulates the best approval strategy if the voters only know which
candidates are in the Smith set.

> What advantage does Approval Sorted Margins have over
> Smith//Implicit-Approval?

Do you mean Approval Sorted Margins using ranking ballots with an
explicit approval cutoff?

Assuming yes, it uses a more expressive ballot, it is less vulnerable to
Defection strategy, and burial strategies are more
likely to have no effect rather than backfire.

In the method I proposed, omitting the ASM step and just electing the
candidate with the highest approval score (derived
as specified) would I concede make for a simpler method that is nearly
as good.

I worry a bit that with all methods that begin with eliminating or
disqualifying all candidates who aren't in the Smith set or
just "elect the CW if there is one", over time if there is never a top
cycle then the top-cycle resolution method could stop
being taken seriously.

An attractive feature of ASM is that it is a Condorcet method that a lot
of the time would work fine without anyone needing
to know if there is top cycle or not.

If the Approval order is  A>B>C  and A pairwise beats B and B pairwise
beats C no-one needs to enquire about the pairwise
result between A and C.

If we want something super simple to explain and sell, then
Condorcet//Top Ratings and Condorcet//Approval (voted above bottom)
are both not bad and much better than STAR.

Chris Benham