[EM] Pairwise Median Rating

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:26:46 PST 2024

Chris:

Thanks for the clarifications, though you didn't comment on whether ballots
with all Smith candidates below top rating should have their ratings bumped
up: i.e., D > E > A > blank > B  (A and B in Smith) would be recounted as A
> blank > B. I think this makes the most sense as a voter whose favorites
are eliminated would want to ensure that their highest ranked Smith
candidate is counted as approved.

In general I agree with your comments, though I think Condorcet//Approval
with all ranked ballots approved is probably not optimal, and Approval
Sorted Margins with explicit approval would be too complex for a public
proposal. I'd be happy with Condorcet//Top-ratings as a public proposal.

Smith//Implicit-approval seems to perform well in a number of situations,
but not appreciably better enough to make it worth the effort of trying to
get people to accept something more complicated than Condorcet/Top-ratings.
I also noticed that there were cases where Smith//ASM(implicit) would get
different results (better, IMO) than Smith//Implicit-approval.