[EM] Autodeterrence introduction & definitions

Bob Richard [lists] lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Fri Jan 12 13:16:31 PST 2024

There are possible cases where due to the ordinal ballots, a very weak
winner can win, such as where there are two main candidates that
polarise opinion (with less than half the support each) and a complete
non-entity:

49: A>>>>C>B
49: B>>>>C>A
2: C

(1) I'm not sure that C is actually the Condorcet winner here. I think
we have A tied with B 49-49, A tied with C 49-49 and B tied with C
49-49. I think a more straightforward example of Toby's point is

48: A>>>>C>B
48: B>>>>C>A
  3: C>A>B
  1: C>B>A

C beats B 52-48. C beats A 52-48. So C is the Condorcet winner. The IRV
winner is A.

(2) To most defenders of Condorcet, this is a strength, not a weakness.
C should win in this example because (to oversimplify) the point of
elections is to elect the median candidate.

I am not a defender of Condorcet primarily because of exactly this
situation. I believe that, in Toby's original example, the result should
be a tie. In my example, where the 4 C voters have second and third
choices,, they should get to break the tie in favor of A.

My point is not to argue that A should win. My point is that who should
win in this situations is a value judgment. My view is as much a value
judgment as the contrary view that C should win. No amount of social
choice theory or analysis of criteria compliance can dictate that
judgment.

--Bob Richard