[EM] Question to the Condorcetists

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 20:57:04 PST 2024

> It’s surprising that participation-violation is unconstitutional in
> Germany, because, here, even Hare’s greater nonmonotonicity is okay.

I'm actually not sure it is--the Supreme Court has never ruled on , and
courts also haven't ruled on the constitutionality of non-monotone voting
rules. STV has been upheld as constitutional in the past, but the
challenges were never brought over monotonicity failures. It's entirely
possible a new challenge could overturn it; there's a strong argument that
monotonicity failures violate due process and the equal protection clause.

The ideal case to bring to the Supreme Court would have been for Begich's
campaign to sue after the 2022 Alaska election. A moderate Republican
plaintiff is appealing to the mostly-Republican Supreme Court, without
being too controversial. Being the Condorcet winner makes his case look
even stronger.

On the other hand, if someone says the word "monotonicity" in front of a
judge, their eyes will glaze over and they'll immediately stop caring about
all this weird, complicated nerd math. The way to explain participation
failures is to run a ton of ads explaining to Alaska Republicans that
Begich lost because *he got* *too many votes. *

One suggestion: why not rename monotonicity to "helpfulness?" (Voting
should help your candidate, not hurt them). We can call monotonicity
failures "spitefulness" (because the system is going out of its way to do
the opposite of what you ask it to).