[EM] Relative vs. Majority Condorcet

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 28 21:32:02 PDT 2024

(This is a resend with a typo corrected.)

CLC,

"ICT" stands for "Improved Condorcet//Top-ratings". "Symmetrical ICT" is
someone's eccentric idea that I never understood and/or saw the point of.

ICA  typically uses 3-slot ratings ballots (I'm sure that was the
version first proposed).  If counting tied at the top ballots such as
A=B counting as both A>B and B>A there are some candidates that pairwise
beat all the others (it is now possible that A and B will "pairwise
beat" each other), disqualify all the others then elect the candidate
that is rated above bottom on most ballots. If there are no such
pairwise "beats all" candidates then do the same thing.

ICT is the same except that where ICA elects the not-disqualified
candidate that is rated above bottom on the highest number of ballots,
ICT elects the candidate that's rated top on the highest number of ballots.

The classic multi-purpose scenario:

49 A (sincere might be A>B)
24 B  (sincere might be B>C)
27 C>B (sincere)

Chicken Dilemma specifies that is this scenario the B voters must not be
able to get away with a Defection strategy against C and so B mustn't
win, while Sincere Defense specifies that the A voters must not be able
to get away with their "offensive truncation" against the presumed
"sincere CW" B and so A must not win, in large part to save the C>B
voters the regret of not having Compromised by voting B>C or B.

Sincere Defense (or the simplest version of it) says that if more than
half the voters vote X above Y and Y no higher than equal-bottom then Y
can't win.  And Woodall's Plurality criterion says that C can't win
because A has more first-place votes than C has any sort of (above
bottom) votes.

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Chicken_dilemma

>     Definition
>
> Each voter is either an A voter, a B voter, or a C voter. Each faction
> votes its candidate (strictly) over everybody else.
>

>       Premise
>
>  1. There are 3 candidates: A, B, and C.
>  2. The A voters and the B voters, combined, add up to more than half
>     of the voters in the election.
>  3. The A voters are more numerous than the B voters. The C voters are
>     more numerous than the A voters, and more numerous than the B voters.
>  4. The A voters vote B over C. The B voters refuse to vote A over anyone.
>  5. None of the C voters vote A or B over the other.
>

>       Requirement
>
> B doesn't win

I thought I recalled that CD says that C in the "premise" ( A in my
example) must win.  In any case you can't have compliance with all three
of Sincere Defense, Chicken Dilemma and Plurality.

Chris B.