[EM] Relative vs. Majority Condorcet

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 27 05:00:42 PDT 2024

> There was some advantage of ICA & ICT that I really liked, but public
> proposals have to be as simple as possible.

In that case I say forget about FBC methods other than Approval. I came
to the conclusion that any good more sophisticated FBC methods need to
use Kevin's  "Tied at the Top Rule" mechanism.

There is some small movement and enthusiasm for Condorcet compliance,
but none that I discern for strict FBC compliance.  I would think most
voters would satisfied with the massive reduction in Compromise
incentive compared to FPP afforded by properly implemented IRV, let
alone the still greater reduction we get from Condorcet.

In general FBC is much more slippery and "expensive" (in terms of being
compatible with other criteria) than Condorcet.  I went off my own
"Irrelevant-Ballot Independent Fall-back Approval" idea (which isn't
"very simple") when Kevin showed that it fails Woodall's Plurality
criterion.

And I'm generally allergic to, and find very silly, methods that fail
Irrelevant Ballots Independence like Median Ratings methods and this
"Majority-Condorcet" idea.

You have an apparent "majority Condorcet" winner, and then a few extra
ballots that vote for nobody are found and then the winner changes
because the "majority" threshold goes up. Absurd and potentially
embarrassing.

Chris B.