[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 25 07:39:14 PDT 2024

Robert,

>   What advantage does Benham have that BTR-IRV does not have?

Your question is  answered here:

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Bottom-Two-Runoff_IRV

I've never liked this BTR method.  It always struck me as an arbitrary
dinky method that has no point other than trying to smuggle Condorcet
past people who like the idea of eliminating weak candidates.  For
example I never understood how it was supposed to be better that just
repeatedly eliminate the pairwise loser between two of the remaining
candidates selected at random. But I may have been a bit too harsh.

Benham interferes with Hare less than BTR and so keeps its Dominat
Mutual Third Burial Resistance and Clone Independence.

On this page I found something I violently disagree with:

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Benham%27s_method

> When voters are allowed to equally rank candidates, Benham's method
> can either be implemented by equally splitting each voter's vote
> between each candidate they equally ranked highest, or giving each
> equally-highest-ranked candidate one vote. See theEqual-ranking
> methods in IRV
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Equal-ranking_methods_in_IRV>page for
> more information.

As I explained in a recent post I am not in favour of allowing
above-bottom equal ranking in Hare and Benham and similar, but if they
were allowed the "give each equally-highest ranked candidate one vote"
solution is a complete disaster. It opens up outrageous easy
Pushover incentives for a start.

The other possibility they mention, giving each of the candidates ranked
(among remaining candidates) equal-top each a fraction of a vote
(summing to 1), is far far less bad but in my opinion not adequate. As I
explained in my recent April  post:

I think that if we allow above-bottom equal-ranking in IRV or Benham,
then if among remaining candidates some ballots rank more than one
candidate equal-top then we make a provisional order of the candidates
by counting those ballots as equal fractions summing to 1.
(A=B counts as half a vote to each of A and B, A=B=C counts as a third
of a vote to each of A and B and C, and so on.  Now it would be fine for
this to be the final order for deciding which candidate to next
eliminate were it not for the fact that it makes Push-over strategising
easier.)  Then we count the equal top (among remaining candidates)
ballots again, this time they give a whole vote to whichever of the ones
they equal rank to the one that was highest in the provisional order.
(So an A=B ballot gives a whole vote to whichever of A and B was higher
in the provisional order, and of course nothing to B.)

This is fully in the spirit of the Single Transferable Vote but I think
you will agree that it is complex. I don't think allowing above-bottom
equal-ranking in those methods is so important, nor do I think there
would be any significant demand for that from voters, so I don't
advocate allowing it for those methods.

Chris B