[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 10:27:37 PDT 2024

> But if you're right about the results of its clone dependence, isn't
> STAR just Range with cowbell? That is, it would reduce to Range itself
> due to the existence of rated (rated-equal) clones.

Yesish—although, with STAR, I think of "clones" as rated-next-to-equal.
Clones in the sense of rated-equal-on-all-ballots don't really exist, so
any "clones" would probably be copartisans. (Which is why the runoff
probably makes elections a bit more Condorcet-efficient). In practice,
that's a huge improvement on IRV and FPP for Condorcet advocates (since
Score has a high Condorcet efficiency).

To be honest, every well-designed voting rule—anything that doesn't make
strategy too complicated or require order-reversal—will probably converge
to a rough approximation of a maximal lottery (since that's the
group-strategyproof Nash equilibrium).