[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

KenB kdbearman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 16:10:20 PDT 2024

On 4/11/2024 7:53 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
> For what it's worth, this paper argues that the Condorcet loser in
> 2016 was Trump and, while the error margins are greater, the winner
> might have been Gary Johnson.
>
> https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/G2XRIJW6VSQA9PHDGSRC/full
= = = = =
[KB]  Thank you for the link.

Early in the article, the authors wrote, "We demonstrate that the
current electoral system for American presidents can, and in 2016
possibly did, select the least-preferred of a set of four candidates."
This suggests to me that the article is in a different universe than we
are.  It's interesting but it's irrelevant to election reform.

We all know that the "current electoral system" in the U.S. ignores the
national popular vote totals for President.  The President is "elected"
by the so-called Electoral College (EC) rules in the U.S. Constitution,
state by state.  I suspect we all know that those rules are skewed
toward small-population states via counting the number of senators (2)
for each state, a number established by a kind of 18th century
gerrymandering at the Constitutional Convention.

I fail to see the non-academic relevance to the real world of deeply
analyzing the national popular vote.  Some could argue that this article
adds weight to arguments against the electoral College -- as if any is
needed.  But realistically the possibility of amending the Constitution
to change or get rid of the EC is zero.

Thanks again for posting the link.  The only workaround I've seen with a
chance of obviating the EC is the National Popular Vote Interstate
Compact.  (https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/written-explanation) But
that's a topic for a different discussion list.
   - Ken Bearman, Minneapolis MN