[EM] Hare (aka IRV) versus STAR

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Apr 12 02:49:26 PDT 2024

On 2024-04-12 01:10, KenB wrote:
> On 4/11/2024 7:53 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
>> For what it's worth, this paper argues that the Condorcet loser in
>> 2016 was Trump and, while the error margins are greater, the winner
>> might have been Gary Johnson.
>>
>> https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/G2XRIJW6VSQA9PHDGSRC/full
> = = = = =
> [KB]  Thank you for the link.
>
> Early in the article, the authors wrote, "We demonstrate that the
> current electoral system for American presidents can, and in 2016
> possibly did, select the least-preferred of a set of four candidates."
> This suggests to me that the article is in a different universe than we
> are.  It's interesting but it's irrelevant to election reform.

Mike said that every STAR poll shows Stein as the CW. My point was to
give a paper whose data suggests that Stein wasn't the CW in that
particular election.

(In addition, that Johnson seems to have been center squeezed in the
hypotherical Hare election based on the poll data might also be of
interest.)

I agree that the conclusion the authors are making, that the Electoral
College can fail Condorcet loser, isn't relevant in my context.

-km