[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sat Apr 6 17:02:01 PDT 2024

On 2024-04-06 18:55, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> Well I nominate Kristofer to administer the poll.  Michael, if you are
> plonking people or vise versa, it might not be as good for you to
> administer the poll.
>
> There seems to be a whole shitload of alternatives.  But a good method
> can handle that.

Since Michael Garman also said MO shouldn't be running this poll, if
there are no other suggestions, I'd like to administer it.

I've unblocked the two people I got plonked. But someone should probably
tell MO about the change because I think he's got me plonked, since the
lists I've seen since I unblocked him don't contain my suggestions.

I would also suggest merging the Condorcet-IRV hybrids into a Smith-IRV
category. While Condorcet methods can handle lots of alternatives, it's
easier to fill out a poll with fewer alternatives. But if you'd prefer
having the full unabridged list, that's okay by me too. Alternatively we
could remove just Schwartz-Woodall.

If anybody else has merge ideas, just lemme know. The most obvious
candidates would be combining Copeland//Borda and Black.

And of course, if MO also wants to count the votes too (based on what
posts he get), I'm not going to stop him - the mailing list posts are
public, after all.

The current methods are:

Approval
RP(wv)
Schulze
IRV
Plurality
Majority Judgement (as a category; includes usual judgement etc.)
Approval with manual runoff
Copeland//Borda (also called Ranked Robin)
MinMax(wv)
Black
STAR
Smith//Score
Baldwin
Benham
Woodall
Schwartz-Woodall
Smith//Approval (implicit - of all ranked)
Smith//Approval (explicit - specified approval cutoff)
Margins-Sorted Approval
Smith//DAC
Margins-Sorted Minimum Losing Votes (equal-rated whole)

The nomination deadline is 2024-04-11 05:14:59 UTC, inclusive. (Not like
we're going to need to be accurate down to the second, but there we go.)

-km