[EM] Poll on voting-systems, to inform voters in upcoming enactment-elections

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Sat Apr 6 04:03:37 PDT 2024

I would like to nominate several methods.

Smith//Approval (Ranking):

Voters rank from the top only those candidates they "approve",
equal-ranking allowed,
the most approved member of the voted Smith set wins.

Smith//Approval (specified cutoff):

Voters rank from the top however many candidates they wish and can also
specify an approval
cutoff/threshold. Default approval is only for candidates ranked below
no others (i.e. ranked top
or equal-top).
The most approved member of the Smith set wins.

Margins Sorted Approval (specified cutoff):

Voters rank from the top however many candidates they wish and can also
specify an approval
cutoff/threshold. Default approval is only for candidates ranked below
no others (i.e. ranked top
or equal-top).

A Forrest Simmons invention. Candidates are listed in approval score
order and if any adjacent pairs
are pairwise out of order then this is corrected by flipping the
out-of-order pair with the smallest
margin. If there is a tie for this we flip the less approved pair.
Repeat until there are no adjacent pairs
of candidates that are pairwise out of order, then elect the
highest-ordered candidate.

Smith//:DAC

Voters rank from the top however many candidates they wish,
equal-ranking allowed.
Eliminate candidates not in the Smith set and then apply
Woodall's Descending Acquiescing Coalitions method.

There is a method I hate that is apparently contending in the real
world: "STAR". Given the stated purpose of
this poll, is there a case for including it?

Chris Benham