[EM] Reply to Rob regarding RCV

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:08:34 PDT 2023

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that RCV maximizes social utility.

For RCV, the giveaway incentive problem isn’t a problem for some
electorates.

It’s a *potential* problem, which I don’t deny—hence my preference for
Condorcet.

As you said, RCV has its valid majority justification, based on coalescing
the Mutual Majority & electing its favorite.

Can you imagine our Democrat beating our Green in an honesty-counted 2-way
election?

Greens win all of our non-mass-media polls.

Non-compromising progressives will elect Greens. With RCV they won’t
compromise.

I think we agree that Condorcet is preferable.

But Condorcetists here have done nothing in enactment. The organization &
advocates of RCV have established RCV in about 60 municipalities & 2
states. Next year Oregon will vote on its RCV referendum. I don’t know much
about Maine & Alaska, but Oregon is a progressive state.

I prefer Condorcet, but RCV is what’s sweeping the country, it’s a big
improvement.

…&, to answer your question, yes Pluralty’s compromise-incentive wouldn’t
be a problem everyone voted honestly.

Admittedly we’ve had a count-fraud problem too, a whole other problem.