[EM] Sequential-Pairwise offensive & defensive strategy?

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 15:06:14 PDT 2023

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023, 10:31 PM Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, that fancier Sequential Pairwise ordering method would make it harder
> for a strategist to guess anything about the comparison-order…when, instead
> of the candidate’s top-count, it uses the sum of the top-counts of those
> above him on each ballot.

By the way this top weighted Borda count is just as efficiently precinct
summable as Borda itself: to get respective scores of the candidates
multiply the pairwise support matrix on the left by the row vector of top
respective counts ... which can be conveniently stored as diagonal elements
of the pairwise support matrix whose off diagonal element in the j_th row
of the k_th column is the number of ballots on which candidate j outranks
candidate k.

This summability is a big advantage. There were lots of complaints about
the slowness of RCV vote transfers between elimination rounds.

> An extra layer of unpredictability for a would-be strategist.
>
> The vulnerability of the simplest-defined procedure would have to be
> weighed against what polls & focus-groups say about people’s requirement
> for definition-simplicity & brevity.
>
> Undeniably the more multi-layered & unpredictable ordering procedure is
> more strategy-proof & better.
>
> Strategy-evaluation for Condorcet-complying pairwise-count methods has
> proven to be complicated & more difficult than one would expect.
>
> But it now seems for sure that there are such methods that are
> sufficiently offensive-strategy-proof or well-protected from
> offensive-strategy.  It’s only a question of how many & which ones.
>
> The Condorcet-IRV-Runoff hybrids hold promise, with merit to always be
> balanced with what is heard in polls & focus groups about
> definition-brevity.

One piece of redundancy I recommend in any Condorcet efficient method
definition ... start with words to the effect "If there is no majority Top
candidate, elect the candidate that is undefeated in every head to head
matchup. And in the extremely rare case that no such ideal candidate
exists, elect the candidate closest to this democratic ideal as follows: