[EM] Vindication

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 10:43:37 PDT 2023

James,

Thanks for contributing and exploring your great example!

Here's the way I look at it:

When there are only three factions, if voters are sincere and well informed
about each others' preferences, the two factions that are farthest apart
will (most likely) be "anti-favorites" of each other. And the other faction
favorite will be ranked top by itself ... so it will not be the
anti-favorite of any of the three factions.

In your illuminating example every candidate is an anti-favorite of some
faction, so most likely not all factions are sincere.

In fact, the most likely cause of the cycle was the burial of a weak
centrist (B in this case) by the strongest of the other factions (C in this
example) ... that is, the one most confident about benefiting from the
cycle creation.

In deed all of the classical Condorcet methods (MinMax, Ranked Pairs,
Schulze's Beatpath CSSD, Jobst's River, etc) break the cycle at the weakest
link, eliminating B.

Nanson, Baldwin, and IRV also start by eliminating B, thereby bolstering
the confidence of the B nuriers.

And without the vindication transfer of votes to the candidate A that
defeated the eliminated candidate pairwise, all of these methods reward the
burying faction by electing C.

Vindication may seem vindictive, but it's the retaliation needed to punish
the buriers by making their sneaky ploy backfire!

Thanks Again.

fws