[EM] Condorcet meeting

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Sep 1 14:55:15 PDT 2023

Kristofer,

> Then I construct a method that's intended to be cloneproof, and then you
> say that clone independence is a bad thing, because more extreme clones
> can support more moderate ones and make the latter win.
I don't recognise that as a quote or paraphrase of what I said.  I
referred to extreme and
moderate candidates on the same wing.

"Clones" are candidates that all the voters rank together. Although all
the extreme wing voters
might give their second preference (if they don't bullet vote) to the
moderate candidate on the same wing,
most of the moderate wing supporters typically prefer a centre candidate
and/or maybe even a moderate
candidate on the other wing to the extreme candidate on their wing.  So
they are usually not clones.

As to it being a "good thing", more voters having their favourite on the
ballot encourages greater turnout
and the lower preferences of sure losers can obviously effect the result
and that is just as likely to help any
given major candidate as harm it.

> Should this kind of method pass clone independence in
> the sense that cloning some group's candidates should never change the
> number picked from that group to be finalists -- or not?
I don't  see any particular point in it doing that.  We should try to
allow every significant "group" at least
one finalist candidate.  All good election methods that we might use for
the final can easily handle a few nobodies
on the ballot, so subject to logistic practicability we should err on
the side of doing that.

> First I suggest using Approval, to which you say this will lead to the
> selection of a bunch of clones.
If it is just "select the top N most approved candidates" then yes that
could just lead to all the finalists
being clones of the Approval winner, and if approval ballots are used
there will be pressure from some
"in the real world" to use that most simple and seemingly obvious system.

But say despite all that we use approval ballots in the primary to
choose N finalists.

I suggest first the most approved candidate qualifies, then the
candidate with the most approval
opposition to the approval winner qualifies, and then the candidate with
the most approval opposition
to those two qualifies, and so on, each time selecting the candidate
that is most approved on ballots that
don't approve any of the already qualified candidates until we have the
desired N number of finalists.

That would be much much better than just the FPP or Approval top N
candidates, but still a lot worse than
my IRV last N suggestion.

Chris B