[EM] Finally - the best Ranked Pairs/fpA-fpC hybrid I've found

Filip Ejlak tersander at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 04:53:44 PDT 2023

I've been looking for an RP/fpA-fpC hybrid that would behave properly in
all circumstances (Selective RP had some bad edge cases) and I believe I've
finally found it.

Here's the shortest definition:

*Iteratively restrict the set of candidates to all candidates X such that
for some XYZ contest:*
*- the Ranked Pairs winner is the same as for all current candidates*
*- the fpA-fpC winner is X*
*until there's only 1 candidate left.*

That's it. The logic behind it is quite simple - either we find buried DMT
candidates (and we choose among them) or we choose the current RP winner.

Here's the set of criteria I was looking for:
- cloneproofness
- monotonicity
- ISDA
- DMTBR
- preferably: LIIA

The simulations indicate that this method satisfies all of that, with no
special tie-breaking rules needed. It indeed seems to have overall strategy
resistance on Smith//IRV level. But, as always, I will be thankful for any
independent checks.

(I'm not sure about the name yet. Burial-Detecting Ranked Pairs?)