[EM] St. Louis and Pushover (Re: Reply to Rob regarding RCV)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sun Oct 1 22:07:42 PDT 2023

Kristofer,

What does "IIRC" mean?

> I can see two ways to interpret pushover. The definition from
> Electowiki is:
>
> "Push-over is a type of tactical voting that is only useful in methods
> that violate monotonicity. It may involve a voter ranking or rating an
> alternative lower in the hope of getting it elected, or ranking or
> rating an alternative higher in the hope of defeating it."

Courtesy of someone (I'm sure a promoter of STAR) Electowiki has been
made much worse (IMHO) than it used to be, and so is now not great.

The older definition you helpfully recovered from Condorcet.org :
> *push-over*
> The strategy of ranking a weak alternative higher than one's preferred
> alternative, which may be useful in a method that violates
> monotonicity
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090713234702/http://www.condorcet.org:80/emr/defn.shtml#monotonicity>.
> *monotonicity*
> The property of a method where an alternative can never be made to
> succeed by being ranked lower on some ballots.  Doing this is using
> the "push-over
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090713234702/http://www.condorcet.org:80/emr/defn.shtml#push-over>"
> strategy.

I think this old Blake Cretney definition is right if we assume strict
ranking ballots (i.e. no above-bottom equal-ranking allowed).

> A strict interpretation considers "defeating it" to mean "turn the
> candidate from winning to no longer winning".

No, I think it is about raising a "weak" candidate in order to "defeat
it" (and thereby win the election) instead of losing to a stronger
candidate in the final decisive part
of the election process.

You seem to be right about STAR meeting mono-raise.   I suspect that the
Electowiki entry is an attempt to define Push-over in such a way that it
can't be a problem for STAR.

Chris B.