[EM] St. Louis and Pushover (Re: Reply to Rob regarding RCV)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Oct 2 03:49:30 PDT 2023

On 10/2/23 07:07, C.Benham wrote:
> Kristofer,
>
> What does "IIRC" mean?

If I Recall Correctly.

>> I can see two ways to interpret pushover. The definition from
>> Electowiki is:
>>
>> "Push-over is a type of tactical voting that is only useful in methods
>> that violate monotonicity. It may involve a voter ranking or rating an
>> alternative lower in the hope of getting it elected, or ranking or
>> rating an alternative higher in the hope of defeating it."
>
> Courtesy of someone (I'm sure a promoter of STAR) Electowiki has been
> made much worse (IMHO) than it used to be, and so is now not great.
>
> The older definition you helpfully recovered from Condorcet.org :
>> *push-over*
>> The strategy of ranking a weak alternative higher than one's preferred
>> alternative, which may be useful in a method that violates
>> monotonicity
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090713234702/http://www.condorcet.org:80/emr/defn.shtml#monotonicity>.
>> *monotonicity*
>> The property of a method where an alternative can never be made to
>> succeed by being ranked lower on some ballots.  Doing this is using
>> the "push-over
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090713234702/http://www.condorcet.org:80/emr/defn.shtml#push-over>" strategy.
>
> I think this old Blake Cretney definition is right if we assume strict
> ranking ballots (i.e. no above-bottom equal-ranking allowed).
>
>> A strict interpretation considers "defeating it" to mean "turn the
>> candidate from winning to no longer winning".
>
> No, I think it is about raising a "weak" candidate in order to "defeat
> it" (and thereby win the election) instead of losing to a stronger
> candidate in the final decisive part
> of the election process.
>
> You seem to be right about STAR meeting mono-raise.   I suspect that the
> Electowiki entry is an attempt to define Push-over in such a way that it
> can't be a problem for STAR.

I don't know if it's intentionally made more vague to support STAR.
Believing in ignorance before malice, I would just assume it's just a
vague definition.

Do you think that my example:

>> leads A to win, but

>> leads B to win.

is an instance of pushover? If so, there may be ranked methods that fail
it even though they're monotone, and the problem isn't limited to rated
methods alone.

-km