[EM] St. Louis and Pushover (Re: Reply to Rob regarding RCV)

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:07:33 PDT 2023

Thanks Kristofer!  Your analysis is really helpful for me as I try to
explain this to a broader audience than the folks on this mailing list.  I
strongly suspect that 99.999% of people who aren't on this mailing list
have no idea what the term "pushover" means, and now I suspect that most
people on this mailing list can't define it unambiguously.  I've started a
stub article here:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Pushover

I'm hoping all y'all on this mailing list help improve the new "Pushover"
article.

I found the part in the "Tactical voting" page's changelog where pushover
was defined relative to monotonicity on electowiki:
https://electowiki.org/w/index.php?title=Tactical_voting&diff=prev&oldid=3014

It would seem that James Green-Armytage (or someone assuming that name)
defined "pushover" in terms of monotonicity back in 2005.

A prior definition that was briefly on electowiki shortly after it was
copied over from English Wikipedia states the following:

> '''Push-over''' or '''turkey-raising''' is a type of strategic voting in
> which a voter ranks a perceived weak alternative higher, but not in the
> hopes of getting it elected.  For example, in a [[bloc voting|bloc vote]]
> where multiple votes are required, a voter may insincerely vote for a
> candidate they perceive as unlikely to win, in order to help their
> preferred candidate win.

See <
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Strategic_voting&oldid=10141683>
to see the version on English Wikipedia at the time it was copied.  I fear
it was a mistake to define "pushover" in terms of monotonicity on
electowiki, since it seems the "pushover" term is used for "turkey-raising"
in some contexts (as I'm assuming based on Chris Benham's email and the
contents of English Wikipedia in 2004 and 2005).

Rob