[EM] Improved IRV

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Mar 25 01:06:13 PDT 2023

There's been a dramatically democratically improved IRV since about
1850, it's called the Hare system ("Andrae system", in Scandinava).

There's been a decisively improved Borda method since 1880. It's called
the Gregory method. It is why statisticians prefer weighting in
arithmetic proportion (Gregory method) to weighting in arithmetic
progression (Borda method). They only use the latter when they have to
assume the magnitudes of intervals in their tabulations of data collection.

Personally, I doubt whether pairwise contests are really suitable for
more than single member contests (which are monopolistic not democratic
enough, despite politicians contentions). My limited experience is that,
in single member contests, weighted Condorcet and Borda methods are in
agreement, as rational counts of quite marginal contests, compared to
mere elimination methods, like Suppementary Vote, FPTP, IRV/AV, which
are only ordinal scale measures (of more or less), not more accurate
rational representations of data.

Regards,

Richard Lung.