[EM] Improved IRV

Andrew C. Myers andru at cs.cornell.edu
Sat Mar 25 13:34:55 PDT 2023

Richard Lung writes:

Personally, I doubt whether pairwise contests are really suitable for more than single member contests (which are monopolistic not democratic enough, despite politicians contentions). My limited experience is that, in single member contests, weighted Condorcet and Borda methods are in agreement, as rational counts of quite marginal contests, compared to mere elimination methods, like Suppementary Vote, FPTP, IRV/AV, which are only ordinal scale measures (of more or less), not more accurate rational representations of data.

My rather extensive experience with CIVS (36000+ elections) suggests that Condorcet methods work just fine for multi winner contests. The system is used routinely for that purpose by a number of organizations whose names you would recognize.

Best,

Andrew