[EM] A Path to Success

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 23:23:56 PDT 2023

Here's a path with baby steps starting from IRV:

Step 0 ... IRV itself;
Until only one candidate remains ...
Eliminate MinTop
EndUntil

Step 1 ... An efficiently summable pairwise version:
Until just one candidate remains ... eliminate minminPS
EndUntil

Step2 ... a Banks efficient version:
Until just one candidate remains ... eliminate Friends(minminPS)
EndUntil

Step3 ... a burial resistant Banks version:
Until just one candidate remains ... eliminate Friends(PL(mmPO,MMPO))
EndUntil

If the transition to pairwise was too sudden ... intercalate into the
sequence ...
Step O.5
Until just one candidate remains ... eliminate PL(minTop, MaxBot)
EndUntil

Step 0.9 ...Until just one candidate remains ... eliminate
Friends PL(MaxTop, MaxBot)
EndUntil

This version 0.9 is burial resistant, Banks efficient, etc...but not
efficiently summable. However, it takes only two or three passes through
the ballots at most ... unlike IRV, which takes up to n-1 passes.

>From here go to step 3 ... same perks as 0.9 but only one pass needed.

-Forest