[EM] Couple of comments (AMS, Why the fuss)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 09:09:52 PST 2023

To make RP, CSSD, and River more decisive by a couple of orders of
magnitude ... I suggest gauging defeat strength by ....

Winning Votes minus epsilon*(Losing MaxPS)

Where the epsilon term is invoked only to break ties arising from the other
term.

If incomplete rankings are allowed, add another term of the form ...

epsilon^2*(losing abstentions minus winning abstentions).

Here "abstentions" means truncations .... in order to preserve precinct
summability.

If equal top rankings are allowed, add another term of the form
epsilon^3*(winning equal top minus losing equal top) ...

... where equal tops are counted whole, in order to preserve clone
independence.

Then a coin toss will never be needed.

But throw it in anyway for theoretical completeness.

The whole thing is efficiently precinct summable ... no multiple passes
needed!

Trade in wv for margins if you want ... but no need to alter the tie
breaking terms.

-Forest