[EM] Couple of comments (AMS, Why the fuss)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Mar 6 08:36:35 PST 2023

On 06.03.2023 11:11, Colin Champion wrote:
> I think Tideman's original description calls for the implementor to
> recursively exhaust over all permutations of tied margins, and to
> construct a winner set as the union of winners under all recursive
> extensions. This is no fun. The Handbook of Computational Social Choice
> (one of my few books on the subject) says "Whether a given alternative
> is a ranked pairs winner... turns out to be NP-complete". (p100.)

Yeah, that's BRILL, Markus; FISCHER, Felix. The price of neutrality for
the ranked pairs method. In: Proceedings of the AAAI Conference on
Artificial Intelligence. 2012. p. 1299-1305.
https://ojs.aaai.org/index.php/AAAI/article/view/8250/8109

(I forgot to put that cite in my reply to Kevin, so here it goes :-)

I would *expect* that River is also NP-complete in the same way, but I
haven't seen any proofs to that end.

-km