[EM] A thought about manipulability

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 17:14:47 PDT 2023

It seems to me that impartial culture is a very tenuous assumption for
public elections ... even less realistic than Yee diagram culture which is
generically cycle free ... not just free of a top cycle.

The Yee diagram is based on  multivariate normal distributions, perhaps not
too realistic ... but the Central Limit Theorem would seem to make it more
(not less) realistic as the size of the election increases.

Remember the governor recall election in California that Arnold won ...
there were several dozens of candidates. Since the ballots were "vote one"
style there could be no ballot cycle.

But who could plausibly argue that a top cycle would have been likely ...
if only complete preferences had been elicited, and there had been even
more candidates?

Yes, inconsequential ties among lower popularity candidates might become
more common with more candidates, just as tied lower candidates in a Yee
diagram might become more common.

In that context all candidates at the same distance from the center of the
distribution are tied with each other ... but not likely for first place.
There is only one point at the precise center... but infinitely many points
at any positive radius r from the center ... the bigger the radius, the
more room for tied candidates ... for what that's worth (if anything).