[EM] A thought about manipulability

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Jun 25 16:07:17 PDT 2023

As the Condorcification proof shows, if you elect someone else than the
(absolute) CW, there will exist at least one majority who all prefer
someone else to the winner, and (if majorities can force outcomes) they
can compromise to get that candidate elected.

But one subtlety that I missed: this means that if the honest election
is a cycle, there's always a strategy. There may be a "cycle to cycle"
strategy, but there is definitely a "cycle to CW" (or rather, cycle to
majority winner) strategy.

I think it's been proven (though I don't remember who did it) that with
impartial culture, as the number of voters goes to infinity, the
fraction of elections that are a Condorcet cycle approaches one. If so,
then a consequence of the above is that *every* method with the majority
forcing property is manipulable in almost every case, under impartial
culture with enough voters.

That's surprising. Though again, maybe not?

It suggests that impartial culture is too strong, at least with lots of
voters -- it's too close to a tie to be realistic.

(But then again, we usually don't consider this sort of "forced
compromise" in a cycle to be a type of strategy that anyone can reliably
pull off. Intuitively, a method electing a non-CW seems to be open to
strategy to get the CW elected, but with a honest cycle it feels more
like the electorate is too divided to pull a cycle to non-cycle strategy
off.)

-km