[EM] A thought about manipulability

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Mon Jun 26 10:08:51 PDT 2023

On 6/26/23 02:14, Forest Simmons wrote:
> It seems to me that impartial culture is a very tenuous assumption for
> public elections ... even less realistic than Yee diagram culture which
> is generically cycle free ... not just free of a top cycle.

Yes; spatial models are probably the closest model we have, although
they could be improved - e.g. voters may have a distribution of belief
of the position of some given candidate, not just a point estimate, so
that complete unknowns' positions are, well, unknown. Then they may be
risk averse, which leads to a penalty to candidates who for some reason
or other haven't got their position out there.

The question is more, I think, whether impartial culture is a good
challenge for methods... a sort of "very hard difficulty" mode because
it's more liable to produce near-ties than real elections, with the idea
that if a method can handle anything IC has to throw at it, then it can
definitely handle the real world...

... or if IC contains distortions that make it the wrong model to use,
so that optimizing for strategy resistance with IC may lead to more
real-world strategy vulnerability.

Complicating this is of course that don't even know how hardened a
method has to be. If it's as weak as Plurality, we know it leads to
Duverger. (I also think that IRV's center squeeze failure shows that it
isn't good enough either.) But would Minmax or Ranked Pairs lead to
stability and/or multi-party rule, or do single-member districts
inherently lead to concentration? It's hard to tell, though top two
runoffs in France (and Greek historical Approval use) seems to suggest
that not all single-winner methods produce two-party rule. And Debian's
use of Schulze seems to (weakly) suggest it's less likely to blowing up
in one's face than IRV. At least such explosions aren't severe enough to
lead to calls for a repeal.

If everything single-member does produce k-party rule then we don't
really need to care about strategic situations involving more than k
viable candidates. If honest Condorcet cycles are not just rare today
(obviously they're rare with two-party rule), but will always be rare,
then there's not much need to care about VSE for multi-Smith set
situations. Etc...

But we don't know.

-km