[EM] Ranked Pairs Feint to Max Gradient Chain Building

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 10:00:18 PST 2023

So far our best defeat strength gauge is the product of winning approval
and losing disapproval.

This still leaves open how to define approval and disapproval in this
context.
Up until now I've been using Equal Top for approval and equal Bottom for
disapproval.

Another possibility is implicit approval and disapproval.

Let's try something more symmetrical between Top and Bottom... a compromise
between those two previous ideas:

For use in defeat strength calculations where approval and disapproval
scores are needed, (for now) we will try ...

For each candidate X let the approval factor a(X) be the number of ballots
on which X is ranked Top (or equalTop) plus half the number of ballots
where X is ranked strictly be tween Top and Bottom ... that is half the
number of ballots on which X is ranked ahead of at least one candidate,
while at least one other candidate is ranked ahead of X.

Also let the disapproval d(X) be given by the difference between the number
of ballots and a(X).

Example:

48 C
28 A>B
24 B

The respective approval scores for A, B and C are 28, 38, and 48.

The corresponding disapprovals are
72, 62, and 52.

The defeat strengths for A>B, B>C, and C>A are ...
28*62, 38*52, and 48*72, respectively.

The strongest defeat is C>A.  And since C is uncovered, no other defeat can
depose C from the head of the chain.

Example2

8 A>B (sincere was A>C)
6 B>C
4 C (sincere was C>A)

The sincere ballots yield C as the only uncovered candidate, hence the
winner.

The truncation in the C faction was a preemptive defense against the burial
of C in the A faction ... let's see if it is protective:

The respective approval/ disapproval pairs are (8, 10), (14, 4), and (10,
8).

The respective defeat strengths are ...
8*4, 14*8, and 10*10 ... not quite enough to retain the win for C, but
enough to punish A by electing A's last choice.

I hope you all will experiment with this streamlined method to get a feel
for it.

So far it seems pretty robust to me.

Any bad results?

It's almost simple enough to replace Gross Loser Elimination as the most
viable RCV election method.

What do you think?

Do I need to go over again the simplicity and relevance of "Covering" ...
both in concept and calculation?

-Forest