[EM] Ranked Pairs Feint to Max Gradient Chain Building

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:36:53 PST 2023

Correction on second example below ...

On Sun, Jan 29, 2023, 10:00 AM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So far our best defeat strength gauge is the product of winning approval
> and losing disapproval.
>
> This still leaves open how to define approval and disapproval in this
> context.
> Up until now I've been using Equal Top for approval and equal Bottom for
> disapproval.
>
> Another possibility is implicit approval and disapproval.
>
> Let's try something more symmetrical between Top and Bottom... a
> compromise between those two previous ideas:
>
> For use in defeat strength calculations where approval and disapproval
> scores are needed, (for now) we will try ...
>
> For each candidate X let the approval factor a(X) be the number of ballots
> on which X is ranked Top (or equalTop) plus half the number of ballots
> where X is ranked strictly be tween Top and Bottom ... that is half the
> number of ballots on which X is ranked ahead of at least one candidate,
> while at least one other candidate is ranked ahead of X.
>
> Also let the disapproval d(X) be given by the difference between the
> number of ballots and a(X).
>
> Example:
>
> 48 C
> 28 A>B
> 24 B
>
> The respective approval scores for A, B and C are 28, 38, and 48.
>
> The corresponding disapprovals are
> 72, 62, and 52.
>
> The defeat strengths for A>B, B>C, and C>A are ...
> 28*62, 38*52, and 48*72, respectively.
>
> The strongest defeat is C>A.  And since C is uncovered, no other defeat
> can depose C from the head of the chain.
>
> Example2
>
> 8 A>B (sincere was A>C)
> 6 B>C
> 4 C (sincere was C>A)
>
> The sincere ballots yield C as the only uncovered candidate, hence the
> winner.
>
> The truncation in the C faction was a preemptive defense against the
> burial of C in the A faction ... let's see if it is protective:
>
> The respective approval/ disapproval pairs are (8, 10), (14, 4), and (10,
> 8).

B approval should be 8/2+6=10, not 14. So the B disapproval is 8.

C's approval should be 6/2+4=7

The corrected pairs are (8,10),(10,8),& (7,11)

> The respective defeat strengths are ...
> 8*4, 14*8, and 10*10

Corrected to 8*8, 10*11, and 7*10 ... so the strongest defeat is B>C with
strength 110 ... which does punish A but does not restore the win to C, the
sincere CW.

... not quite enough to retain the win for C, but enough to punish A by